I have been fortunate to take advantage of the opportunities life and society have offered me and have made the most of them. I want children (and adults!) of District …
About James Howard
Who I Am
I am James Howard and I live in the Village of Long Reach in Columbia with my wife Nina and our two children, Chase and Beatrix. Chase is 8 and like all 8-year olds, he loves Pokémon, and he’s got me hooked. A couple weekends a month, we go out and play together. Beatrix is 5 and she has just started reading. Our new favorite thing to do is read together. Nina and I prioritize bringing our children up in a place defined by respect for self, respect for each other, and respect for the world around us. My family’s values are important to me as I’m sure they are to you too.
During the day, I work at the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory in Laurel. In between solving math problems, I try to keep a palm tree alive in my office. I have also taught for several universities, but everyone knows me as a math professor. I have taught developmental and introductory math courses to just over a thousand students over the years. Sharing the power of math in the real world is my proudest accomplishment.
I have been a community volunteer for as long as I have lived in Maryland. I have been on the Columbia Association’s budget committee and later sat on the Art Center Advisory Board. I have also worked on land use issues for many years, serving on the Howard County Board of Appeals since 2011. I also worked extensively on the Long Reach Village Center Master Plan, a plan to return the village center to vibrancy. I know very well what both good and bad community planning looks like. I am well prepared to address the challenges that face Baltimore and Howard Counties.
I volunteer for the Maryland Defense Force, a volunteer state agency that provides support to the Maryland National Guard and Maryland Emergency Management Agency in times of emergency. I believe strongly in the security of our state and nation from all threats, seen and unseen.
I have a doctorate in public policy from the University of Maryland Baltimore County where my research focused on the economic and social effects of flood insurance. I also have a master of public administration from the University of Baltimore and a bachelor’s degree in mathematics from the University of Maryland.
- JHU/APL, Lead Data Scientist and Service Manager (10/2016–Present)
- Eagle Ray, Inc., Applied Analytics Scientist (9/2012–10/2016)
- Eagle Ray, Inc., Senior Solutions Architect (7/2014–10/2016)
- Federal Reserve Board, Senior Research Systems Analyst (2/2008–9/2012)
- Federal Reserve Board, Research Systems Analyst (8/2003–2/2008)
- Newport-Hall, Inc., Computer Systems Analyst (11/2002–8/2003)
- Newport-Hall, Inc., Internet Systems Analyst (6/2002–11/2002)
- Wavix, Incorporated, Systems Administrator (3/2001–2/2002)
- Startec Global Operating Company, Systems Administrator (5/2000–3/2001)
- UMBC, PhD, Public Policy (5/2014)
- University of Baltimore, MPA, Public Administration (5/2008)
- University of Maryland, BS, Mathematics (5/2002)
- University of Maryland, College Park Scholars Citation, International Studies (5/2000)
- Certified Government Financial Manager
- Project Management Professional
Government and Volunteer Experience
- University of Maryland Extension, Howard County Watershed Stewards Advisory Committee (9/2017–Present)
- Howard County, Board of Appeals (2/2011–Present)
- Maryland Defense Force, Branch Chief, Information Management (10/2010–Present)
- American Society for Public Administration, Maryland Chapter Council (9/2011–8/2016)
- Green Beelievers, Board of Directors (3/2015–12/2015)
- Long Reach Community Association, Master Plan Committee (10/2010–3/2012)
- Maryland Defense Force, Special Projects Officer and other roles (7/2006–10/2010)
- Columbia Association, Financial Advisory Committee and Budget Committee (9/2005–8/2010)
- Columbia Association, Art Center Advisory Board (11/2007–11/2009)
- College Park Scholars Alumni Association, Board of Directors (5/2004–10/2009)
- Howard County, Public Engagement in Land Use Planning Task Force (1/2008–5/2008)
- UMUC, Adjunct Assistant Professor, Mathematics and Statistics (7/2015–Present)
- University of Baltimore, Adjunct Professor, Public Finance (1/2014–1/2016)
- UMUC, Adjunct Instructor, Mathematics and Statistics (7/2010–7/2015)
Donate now to help send your message to Annapolis!
Maryland is known for its traffic, and its reputation is awful. I spent years driving to Alexandria and back every day, sometimes spending more than four hours a day in …
Good government has become a mantra, but it is something we can do together. We can ensure that the tools we create today, such as universities, subways, and other big-ticket …